Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Zucchini Tart 2

I made another zucchini tart with our multitudes of summer squash and zucchini. I took a hint from Chuck Hughes on the new Cooking Channel, he made a tomato tart that is a family recipe. Using what I had, most importantly the fresh herbs, I kind of made my own version.
Zucchini Tart
8-10 sheets of phyllo dough
4 oz shredded fontina cheese
2 zucchini, thinly sliced
1 summer squash, thinly sliced
1 sprig tarragon, roughly chopped
1 sprig thyme, leaves removed and roughly chopped
salt and pepper to taste
8 leaves basil, thinly sliced
Preheat the oven to 375.
Take a large cookie sheet (I love my large stone) and layer the phyllo dough to cover the entire sheet, including coming up the sides a bit. This really depends on the size and shape of your dough, which I find random at times. In between each layer, spray with a non-stick spray (easy way) or brush with olive oil.
When completed, sprinkle the cheese over the entire pan. Then sprinkle the herbs except for the basil, and add salt and pepper to taste. Layer the zucchini and squash, covering every inch, and overlapping them. This works best in rows, or at least it looks pretty.
Bake at 375 until cheese bubbles on the sides and zucchini is tender. This takes roughly 25 minues. Once out, sprinkle with the basil and additional salt and pepper. Slice. It is tasty cold or hot, it is really the fresh herbs that make this dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment