Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Mushroom, Spinach, and Cheese Enchiladas

In an effort to be more creative with my menu, as well as make more of my ingredients instead of purchasing them, I found a recipe for making enchilada sauce. I wanted to use the chiles in adobo sauce that I recently found at a new grocery store, so I looked forever and found a recipe that all I needed to do was blend the ingredients, though I altered it a bit. The hubs loved it. It was spicy. If you are not one for spice, I would recommend using less chile than I did, or smothering it with sour cream like I did.

I tried a new cheese, it was sitting right next to the manchego and the price tag screamed to me. It was $2 less per pound than the manchego, said it was a spanish cheese, and was cheaper than the manchego. So, I bought it. I did not read the label, other than the price of course. When home, I read the label: sheep, cow, and goat's milk. Not to mention the animal rennet I just noticed while reading the label to write this post. But, I digress, I am not a fan of goat cheese. When I use up the extra sauce that I put in the freezer, I am definitely going to get the manchego or just use cheddar. The hubs loved it, but then again he likes goat cheese.

Enchilada Sauce (Printable Recipe)

1 can of chopped tomatoes

2 small cans of chopped green chiles

1 pepper from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce

2 cloves garlic, diced

1 T lime juice

1 T of cilantro leaves

1 jalapeno (seeded and chopped)

1/2 roasted red bell pepper (used a canned piquillo one for sweetness)

1 T sugar

1 T chili powder

1/2 t cumin

1/4 t salt

Blend in a blender until smooth.

Enchiladas

12 oz baby bella mushrooms
1/2-1 lb of spinach
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 lb of shredded cheese, iberico or manchego
6 tortillas
Preheat oven to 350.
Saute the onion in a T of olive oil until translucent, add the mushrooms. Saute over medium heat until the liquids are gone. Add the spinach and saute until wilted and liquids have evaporated.
To assemble, line the center of a tortilla with cheese (reserving some for the top), then top with a heaping spoonful of the spinach mixture. Fold both sides in and place, fold side down, in a greased pan.
Top with 1/2 of the enchilada sauce. For the other half, place it in a freezer bag or container to save for future use. Top with a few ounces of remaining cheese.
Bake for 1/2 hour or until bubbly on sides. If desired, turn broiler on for 1 minute, watching closely.
Voila! The hubs absolutely loved it and ate three. Me, the cheese somewhat ruined it, but I enjoyed the sauce flavor immensly, though I only ate one.

No comments:

Post a Comment