Sunday, June 20, 2010

Wild Rice and Poached Eggs

Here is yet another 101 cookbooks recipe for this week. I was in a hurry menu planning so I did not stray very much from her website despite the stack of cookbooks next to me. I am posting a few recipes tonight as I have time, the next few weeks are going to continue to be super busy. This was a simple and tasty recipe, and I used the leftover fried ginger and garlic on top from the fried rice recipe last week. Wild Rice and Poached Eggs 1 c wild rice 1 T evoo 1/2 onion 1 clove garlic 1 bunch collard greens/kale deviened and thinly sliced 1 t red pepper flakes 4 eggs Cook the wild rice in a rice cooker according to directions. Heat a large pot of water to a simmer with 1 T of vinegar. In the meantime, saute the onion in the evoo until a bit translucent. Add the garlic , red pepper, and greens and saute until wilted. Add the rice and stir. This was my first time poaching eggs, the hubs said they could've cook a few seconds longer, but overall not too bad for my first time. I took some lessons gleaned from watching too many cooking shows. Start off by cracking the egg into a small bowl or ramekin. Take a slotted spoon and stir the water to create a small whirlpool. Drop the egg in gently, in the direction of the water. Let cook until the whites are no longer translucent, and a bit more after that if you do not prefer a runny inside. For better ideas, go to this recipe on 101 cookbooks, she has some alternative ideas, though you need a mesh strainer for it. Simple and tasty, a good quick meal as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment