Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My First Trip to the Farm

I went to the farm for the first time yesterday. Sorry for the lack of photos, but I was in a hurry, had a huge to-do list for the evening, and frankly just forgot my camera in the hubbub. But, the trip was relaxing, I even picked a pint of sugar peas myself along with some herbs. There was SO much food. It was overwhelming, and amazing seeing just how big and ENTIRE share is. We got 11 summer squash. 11! And they were no small potatoes. The beets were phenomenal, bright reds and oranges in a box littered with bright green leaves. And two humongous heads of lettuce. Amazing. It is so great to be able to see mounds and mounds of vegetables, then step outside and see EXACTLY where they came from. They said this week our share was well over $100 worth, and I believe it. It took me two bags overflowing to get it all back to my house to divy up. We got this week: cilantro, dill, thyme, tarragon, oregano, beets, kale/collards, spinach, lettuce, salad mix, garlic/onion chives, green onions, sugar peas, sunflowers, and of course squash I am planning on a few recipes from 101 cookbooks, trying to use up all the squash along with everything else. I am making a lasagna tart (with no noodles), a quiche (using up the rest of the half-n-half from the gratin recipe), beet salad, an asian rice and poached egg salad, and another one I can't remember. At some point I am going to update this website, include sites I get recipes from, and perhaps have a guest blogger, G, my food box partner. Someday I will figure out how to archive my recipes so you can search for them. Someday, perhaps during a break from classes. Any recommendations are super welcome ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment