Saturday, July 17, 2010

Zucchini Fritters

I accidentally posted these out of order, hence the "sick of zucchini fritters" post before the actual zucchini fritters recipe. I was hesitant to make the fritters because I pictured them being made in a vat of oil, adding to our week before of fried in a bit of oil falafael week. Well G told me about making some zucchini fritters using a small amount of oil and it tempted me to make some myself with our abundance of zucchini and summer squash.

They turned out ok, needed more salt and perhaps a bit more spices. But they we so so tasty the one morning my husband made them topped with a lightly fried egg and some feta cheese. As I have said before, I think feta makes everything taste betta. And they were tasty made the same way with some parmesan cheese. The cheeses helped to balance the need for more salt in the fritters.

Zucchini Fritters

1 large zucchini, finely chopped

1 small onion, chopped

3 eggs, beaten

1/2 cup freshly grated Romano cheese

1 cup 2% milk

2 cups all-purpose flour

salt and pepper to taste

garlic powder to taste

onion powder to taste

dried parsley (optional)

1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil

In a large bowl, mix together the zucchini, onion, eggs, Romano cheese, milk, and flour. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and parsley.

Heat about 1 tablespoon of shortening in a large skillet over medium heat. Drop 1/4 cupfuls of the batter into the skillet, and flatten slightly with the back of a spatula. Turn fritters over when the center appears dry. Cook on the other side until golden brown. Set aside and keep warm. Add more shortening to skillet as needed, and continue with remaining batter.

No comments:

Post a Comment