Saturday, July 17, 2010

Oatmeal Carob Chip Pancakes

I have been craving pancakes, and I know there are NO vegetables in them, and they are pretty dang sweet, but I thought I would mix it up a little bit.
I mixed up some oats and milk last night for my oatmeal pancakes today. Lovely Saturday morning treat. I have a few friends who make them every Saturday morning with their family, it sounds like such a great family tradition memory, though I rarely do it. Perhaps I can start...
Oatmeal Pancakes
2 c rolled oats 1 1/2 c buttermilk
1 1/2 c low fat milk
3 large eggs (feel free to use 1 banana in place of each egg, or one egg if desired- or 1 T of flax seed meal in 3 T of water in place of 1 egg)
3/4 c unbleached flour
3 T honey
2 t vanilla extract
2 t ground cinnamon
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1/2 c carob or chocolate chips (optional of course)
Mix oats and milks in a large bowl, refrigerate overnight or 8 hours.
Whisk remaining ingredients into the oat mixture.
Heat skillet over medium heat. Pour 1/4 batter onto skillet, cook 3-4 minutes or until the outsides appear quite set. Flip and cook an additional 1-2 minutes more. Be patient, they take longer than normal pancakes, and if you don't allow enough cooking time, they will be ooey-gooey in the middle, not a nice texture for a pancake.
*I upped the flour in the recipe to 3/4 c because I found the batter to be too liquidy with the 1/2 c called for. Up to you, but I made the recipe the way I do it. Based on a recipe from Vegetarian Times*

No comments:

Post a Comment