Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Recipe Review: Egg Salad Sandwich

Now generally I abstain from things drenched and dressed in mayonnaise. Mayo just does not appeal to me one bit. I have always called it fat in a jar, the consistency mostly weirds me out and the flavor I detest. I do use mayo when cooking, but very very rarely and only if the flavor is obviously going to be masked by many more overpowering flavors.

That said, I was looking for a protein heavy sandwich to have with a fall salad that I eagerly planned for my menu, and 101 cookbooks had a sandwich entitled, "Egg Salad Sandwich (the only one I'll eat)." Score. After looking over Heidi's post, I realized that she and I were likely kindred spirits when it came to traditional egg salad sandwiches. And when I saw the idea to substitute greek yogurt for the mayo, I was sold. (I am finding more and more uses for greek yogurt as of late and am loving it- by the way.) So along with our salad topped with apples, pomegranate seeds, feta, and a balsamic vinaigrette, we had egg salad sandwiches.

I won't go into too much more detail and invite you to read Heidi's post, but a good trick is to not overcook your hard boiled egg. Sorry no veggies from the farm other than the mesclun. But this was a great meal for an evening in which we had to be out the door by 7 after getting home at 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment