Thursday, December 30, 2010

Homemade Salsa (in winter)

During the winter I sincerely miss the fresh salsa from the summer, especially with garden fresh, heirloom tomatoes. Excuse me while I drool. But storebought just doesn't come close.

Taking a que from the Pioneer Woman, I looked into my cabinet to make my own salsa. I made a much smaller batch, and mine is probably mostly different from hers, at least enough to call it my own recipe. I often look up recipes for a basic outline of ingredients and measurements, then go for it on my own. Only with cooking though, I tried that with baking and it just doesn't work very well.

Homemade Salsa

1 can fire roasted tomatoes
1 can rotel diced tomatoes with habaneros (the hubs likes it spicy- feel free to use one of their milder versions)
1/4 of a medium to small sized onion
1 small clove of garlic
4 cubes frozen cilantro (in frozen foods section at trader joes- wonderful!) or 2 T fresh, chopped
2 T lime juice
1 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1 t cumin
Dice up the onions and add to a blender, crushing the garlic into it as well. Drain the tomatoes of most of the juices, then add the tomatoes and the rest of the ingredients, blend until desired consistency. (I don't like chunky salsa, so this turns out great!)

No comments:

Post a Comment