Wednesday, May 26, 2010

First Box

Last evening I stopped by my friend G's house and picked up my half of the share. Wow. There was much more than I was expecting, but just enough that I think we can finish it. We received spinach (gorgeous), kale, a half a head of lettuce, baby greens, arugula, radishes, and garlic chives. For the first night, I used up all of the baby greens for one dinner. I got home later than expected so the lentil salad originally planned for that night was a no-go. 7:00 is just too late in my book to start a 45 minute recipe that should be chilled after it cooks. It was decided that we would have taco salad, to the delight of the hubs. This is a staple meal in my house, we pretty much always have on hand black beans, salsa, and hopefully some guacamole. If the hubs could eat burritos and tacos everyday, he would. For my taco salad I go pretty simple: 1 package of tempeh 1 can of black beans, drained 1/4 to 1/2 packet of taco seasoning OR 1/2 t cayenne pepper, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp cumin, 1 tbsp chili powder Tonight, I also added 1/2 chopped onion and green pepper each Saute the onion and pepper until barely browning. Add tempeh by crumbling it into the pan. Saute until tempeh browns, add beans. Saute one minute more and add spices with 1-3 tbsp of water. Saute until water is absorbed. Serve in taco shells, tortillas, or over a bed of greens with salsa, guac, or your favorite mexican fixings! And for a special treat while writing up an article review about stress i mixed some leftover coffee from this morning with vanilla almond milk: a stress reliever with fresh mint that came special in my box!

No comments:

Post a Comment