Monday, July 4, 2011

Zucchini Bread

I know, I know, enough with the Bittman recipes, but every one (other than the nut cream sauce which was my fault) has been so good and generally unique that I can't help but turn to it with each new harvest.  With the start of the abundance of zucchini we get from the farm, I needed something to do with it all.  I think I have made 5 loaves so far, and will probably make another one tonight.

I remember growing up making my grandmother's recipe for zucchini bread with bran cereal.  My mom and I would heat it up in the microwave and put a little slab of butter on top.  A loaf wouldn't last very long, and even my vegetable-picky dad would gobble it up. 

This bread, I hesitantly say, is a bit better than my grandmothers, and a bit cheaper to make (who has bran cereal just hanging out in their pantry regularly?). 



Zucchini Bread

4 T cold butter, cut into bits
2 c flour
1 c sugar
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1 t salt
3/4 c fruit juice (oj or apple) or milk
1 T grated orange zest
1 egg
1 c raw, shredded zucchini

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x5 loaf pan.

Stir dry ingredients together, then cut into the flour mixture (can use a food processor or stand mixer) until pieces are no larger than a pea. 

Beat together zest, juice, and egg and mix into dry ingredients just until incorporated.  Fold in zucchini and pour into bread pan.  Bake for about one hour and cool.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds yummy, and I happen to have a zucchini that has no purpose (other than being eaten, of course.) Wonder how this would do as muffins?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i made it as mini loaves one day, less cooking time obviously, but they turned out yummy. i say they were less moist than the loaf, but still good.

    ReplyDelete