Monday, July 11, 2011

Sushi Bowl


Now, I have never had sushi, well, real sushi.  I have gotten the pre-made sushi from Trader Joes, and it is decent.  From what I have heard, their sushi is passable, but nothing like the real thing. 

Well, the other day I was craving sushi.  Where this craving came from I have no idea, especially given the fact that I have never actually had real sushi, and even if I had, it would be the vegetarian kind (given).  I had some ideas in my head about doing sushi without the rolling part, more like a salad or fried rice, and many ingredients on hand.  What luck, I also found a recipe to bounce off of from Vegetarian Times, though I must confess that this bowl needed some punch.  Future attempts will include some crushed nori or other type of seaweed, which will hopefully boost the sushi factor. 

The hubs did not think there was enough wasabi so he put a chunk on the top of the remaining half of his bowl.  Big mistake.  His mouth was on fire...so in case you don't know, a tiny bit of wasabi goes a loooooong way. 

I made the rice in my rice cooker with a bit of extra water so that it didn't dry out (my rice cooker tends to lean on the dry side).   And I marinated the tofu in a mixture of soy sauce and sesame oil, then baked it until almost crispy. 

Sushi Bowl

1 c rice cooked according to directions (add a bit of rice vinegar if desired)
6 T soy sauce, divided
2 T sesame oil
1/4 t wasabi (or more to taste)
1 15 oz pkg firm tofu
2 c baby peas
1 c shredded carrot
1 avacado, diced
2 T pickled ginger, minced
2 green onions, thinly sliced

Mix 4 T soy sauce and sesame oil.  Press tofu for at least 10 minutes, then slice into 8-16 pieces and place in a shallow dish.  Pour soy sauce over tofu and let marinate while you prepare the remainder of ingredients.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cook rice according to directions (the rice cooker is your friend).  Prep vegetables and any other vegetables you desire. 

Place slices of tofu into the oven and bake until crispy on the outside, about 30 minutes. Once completed, cut into little cubes.

Whisk together soy sauce, 1 T water, 1 T sesame oil, and wasabi.  Mix together the sauce you just made, veggies, and tofu, then serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment