Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Cheating


(apologize for the negligent photo, i was hungry and impatient for a good photo with my weirdly acting camera that probably needs a tune-up.  The flowers are oh so pretty though!)

I miss summer.  And boxes of vegetables so graciously picked up by my friend G.  And salsa, and fresh tomatoes, and eating dinner on the front porch after a nice run in shorts. 

So last night, I cheated on winter and her vegetables.  I bought a cucumber, avacadoes, and an orange pepper, and used frozen spinach and canned tomatoes.  And it was lovely.  Not as robust as peak in-season veggies, but tasty.  Please forgive me for relenting to my desires and betraying fresh, local, winter produce.  I just couldn't take another root vegetable or frozen peppers. 

I watched Guy's Big Bite on television at my parents Sunday.  Temptation at its finest.  I loved the idea of a spinach tostada despite his topping, which seemed to negate the lowered carb "tortilla".  So I devised a topping of my own, atop Guy's Spinach tostadas.  

Tostada Topping

2 avacadoes, diced
1 can roasted tomatoes, drained
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cucumber, diced
1/2 orange pepper, diced
1 jalapeno, finely chopped
2 green onions, diced
juice of 1 lime
4-5 cubes frozen cilantro (about 1 tsp each)
salt

Mix together, and it gets better if it sits overnight.  Spoon over spinach tostadas.  ( I did not add, but perhaps 1 tsp of cumin would be great).

No comments:

Post a Comment