Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Ground Cherry Pie

No picture, sorry. I have been completely forgetting on a few recipes lately like my spicy eggplant and tofu. Whoopsies. But it was good nonetheless, despite the fact that I fell well short of the amount of cherries designated for in the recipe (by perhaps a cup). It was a hit at the house-show that I brought it to as well, and by the time I remembered I needed a photo, it was gone! Made for great small talk conversation with strangers as it looked odd, but tasted a lot like apple pie.

Ground cherries look like tiny tomatillos, are wrapped in a husk, but then remind you most of a tiny green tomato when husked. When raw, the initial flavor is cherry with an aftertaste of tomato. The hubs did not like it, neither did G's, though we found it intriguing. You pick them from the ground, hence their name. They are green while on the stem, but turn a yellow pinkish color once they fall. Somewhat messy to pick and husk, but a good marriage task that gets you talking ;)

I got the recipe from AllRecipes, apparently it is a Mennonite recipe. Now, I had lots of people ask me where to buy them. That is a whole different ballgame, I have never seen them, not even at my local farmers market. I would venture to say to those in the Philly area should check out The Food Trust and ask around at the local farmers markets listed or on their blog.

Ground Cherry Pie Ingredients

2 1/2 cups ground cherries

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons water

1 (9 inch) pie shell

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

3 tablespoons white sugar

2 tablespoons butter

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).

Wash ground cherries and place in unbaked pie shell. Mix brown sugar and 1 tablespoon flour and sprinkle over cherries. Sprinkle water over top. Mix together 3 tablespoons flour and 3 tablespoons sugar. Cut butter in until crumbly. Top cherry mixture with crumbs.

Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, reduce temperature to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and continue to bake for 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment